Monday, March 5, 2012

Bees & Bunnies

An interesting thing happened yesterday. We were returning home after a shopping trip outside Leisure World.  As I turned into the driveway I could hear this loud buzzing, like bees, lots of bees, probably a couple thousand bees. I looked across the street and saw a huge black swarm settling in on the wall of the neighbour's garage. I watched for 10 minutes as most of the bees landed. They covered a circular area about the size of an extra large pizza, 2 feet or so in diameter and an inch thick. Strangely the round mass seemed to shrink as time passed. 10 more minutes and only a couple remained, buzzing around like guard dogs. I slowly walked over to take a look. To my amazement there was a small ~1/2" hole in the stucco and the bees had all crawled into the wall.
Crazy me, I didn't even think of taking a picture. Coulda made the news. Coulda made the cover of Martha Stewart's Bee Keepers Edition.

Lucky for me, this bee volunteered to pose for me.

And now, the weird part of the story...   Sharon, the neighbour, had been at a baseball game in Scottsdale when the bees visited her home. Coincidently, that ball game had been interrupted for 40 minutes because a swarm of bees had invaded the players dugout, forcing the players to flee. It was on the 6 o'clock news. Click here to see a newspaper article about the incident.

This morning an exterminator visited Sharon....



To make up for the lack of "Bees" video, watch these guys invading the back yard. 
Check out the ears on that Wabbit.

3 comments:

  1. this is disturbing, but the rabbit video makes it a bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is pretty crazy... We had a swarm on a tree near the cedar creek restaurant last fall... A local woman came and caught them in a box and brought them to her place. The boys were really into it.

    ReplyDelete